- CPS Investigations
- Dependency matters
- Adult and Child Sexual Assault
- Domestic Violence Offenses
Alena Ciecko handles our firm's CPS and dependency practice.For our clients who are parents of children under the age of 18, a criminal sexual assault investigation often involves a concurrent investigation by Child Protective Services. We also represent clients who are the subject of dependency proceedings if the sexual assault allegations involve their own child. Alena has years of experience advocating for parents in CPS investigations and dependency matters. Alena is the former managing attorney for the Society of Counsel Representing Accused Persons Division of the King County Department of Public Defense (DPD), and served as the supervisor of the Dependency Unit for 5 years. She is well-acquainted with all aspects of CPS investigations and dependency actions. She knows the ins and outs of the services Washington State can provide for families with children in crisis and the internal policies and procedures of CPS.
In addition to her expertise in CPS and dependency matters, Alena is a highly experienced criminal trial attorney and has litigated and tried numerous cases over the span of her 16 year career in public defense. Alena prides herself on truly understanding and humanizing her clients, and is a calming force for families who are experiencing upheaval because of governmental involvement in their lives. She works to keep families together and is a staunch advocate for the rights of the parents.
Alena obtained her B.A. from the University of Washington's Jackson School of International Studies and her J.D. from the UW School of Law. Alena also serves as a Board Member for Southeast Youth and Family Services, a non-profit community mental health and family services provider and on the Advisory Board for A Bridge Forward, a non-profit seeking to provide resources and life coaching for young adults coming out of the foster care system.
- University of Washington School of Law, Seattle, Washington
- University of Washington’s Jackson School of International Studies
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Sharon Armstrong, King County Superior Court
- Staff Attorney, Pierce County Department of Assigned Counsel
- King County Department of Public Defense, Staff Attorney (7 years); Dependency Supervisor (5 years); Managing Attorney (2 years)
- Southeast Youth and Family Services, Board Member
- A Bridge Forward, Advisory Board Member
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Washington Defender Association